Usually, acne is one of the things we encounter as teenagers.
Puberty gets the best of our skin and we spend our teenage years battling with acne. And normally, that should be the end. Acne should disappear as we become adults.
But more often than not, people still have acne way into their adulthood.
Sometimes, acne takes a break and comes back. Other times, the treatment people used during their teen years didn’t work or made the acne even worse than before.
Some adults still battle with acne through their 30s, 40s, and sometimes, even their 50s.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, it is even possible for your skin to be acne-free during your teen years, and when you become an adult, you begin to have acne. This is called Adult-onset acne.
Adult acne is acne that occurs after age 25 and it is more common in women than in men.
So, if you are currently experiencing adult acne, you are not the only one. And there is good news too; it can be treated.
What causes adult acne?
There are a lot of factors that can trigger acne in adults. However, the two most direct causes of acne in adults include:
- Clogged skin pores by excess oil, dirt, dead skin cells, etc.
- Inflammation of the skin
Other factors include:
- Hormonal imbalance during menstruation, pregnancy, or menopause
- Certain medications like corticosteroids, lithium, etc.
- Exposure to harsh weather conditions
- Exposure to environmental pollution, especially air pollution
- Using the wrong products for your skin
- Underlying health conditions
These factors trigger acne on your skin.
Click here to learn more about this magical soap and how it can give you a clean and spotless skin.
How can you prevent adult acne?
The truth is we have very little control over acne on our skin. However, there are things we can do that can reduce the appearance of acne on our skin.
Here are some of them:
- Exfoliate your skin thrice weekly. This removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin and promotes the growth of new and healthy skin cells.
- Wash your face thoroughly twice daily. Make sure there is no dirt, oil, or makeup residue that can clog your skin pores.
- Do not touch your face. Your hands carry germs and dirt that can be transferred to your face.
- Do not sleep with your makeup on. When you do, you push the makeup particles deep into your pores while you toss and turn at night which clogs your pores.
- Wash your makeup brushes and application tools after every use. Unwashed brushes carry dirt which can be transferred to your skin.
- Only use products that are non-comedogenic, that is, they do not clog the skin pores. Check out the label for the words “non-comedogenic”.
- Take a break from makeup at least three days a week. This gives your skin room to breathe and the chance to heal itself.
- Wash your bedsheet and pillowcase at least twice weekly. Your skin comes in contact with these every day for long hours. Dirt and germs from them can clog your skin pores.
- Do not use anything on your skin that will irritate it. So, know what triggers adverse reactions on your skin and avoid them.
- Be aware of your skin type and take the necessary steps to care for it This includes only using products suitable for your skin type.
- Get enough rest; 6-8 hours of sleep every day works great for your skin. While you sleep, your skin tries to heal itself of any damage that occurred during the day.
- Avoid anything that can stress you. Find time to relax during your day.
- Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or above. The ultraviolet rays from the sun can damage your skin severely.
- Stay away from sugary foods, processed foods, foods rich in carbohydrates, etc. Instead, eat balanced meals with lots of fruits and vegetables
If you do these every day, your chances of getting acne will be greatly reduced. And It will be easier to treat the acne if it eventually does occur.
How do you treat adult acne?
There are different treatment methods for treating adult acne.
First, you should note that even while treating acne, you should continue to take the preventive measures I listed in the previous section.
Here are some tips that can help you get rid of adult acne:
Get yourself an anti-acne product
This is the first thing you should do.
Get a product that will get rid of the acne on your skin completely and apply it every day. Make sure it is a product that is suitable for your skin type.
Then the Magical Seliná soap is what you need.
Click here to learn more about this soap
Stick to a skincare routine
If you want clean and clear skin, you need a skincare routine.
The daily skincare routine allows you to properly take care of your skin and apply the right products that will protect your skin during the day.
Your daily skincare routine should include a cleanser, toner, eye cream, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen.
First, you cleanse your skin. Then, you apply your toner, followed by your serum. Next is your moisturizer and then, your sunscreen.
Also, every week, you need to exfoliate your skin, use a face mask, steam your face, and massage your face.
For a detailed skincare routine you can follow to prevent acne, please click on this article: 7 Things to Include in Your Skincare Regimen
See a dermatologist
If after trying all these and acne persist, then you need to seek professional help.
Look for the most qualified dermatologist near you and pay him/her a visit. A dermatologist will help you figure out the cause of your acne, why it is persistent or recurring after all your efforts, and the best way to treat it.
Adult acne, though annoying, can be treated.
All you need to do is follow the tips that I have given above. If you have any questions or more tips, please leave a comment and I will answer as soon as I can.